Simone de Beauvoir

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Untitled and unemployed

Hello, Dear Readers,

It's been way too long since I last blogged. Why? To quote one of my favorite movies, Top Gun, "the list is long but distinguished."

Job hunting would be the first reason, if I start to list them all. Gone are the 'good old days' when one applied for a position by mail and received a phone call to set up an interview. Lately, I apply online and receive an automatically generated "do not reply to this email" message that basically says 'don't call us, we'll call you'. While I can certainly understand how this arrangement works for productivity and such by eliminating personalized letters and other things requiring individualized attention, the silent treatment doesn't fly with me.

First of all, if I'm taking the time and considerable effort to apply for a position within your company, I'd like to be acknowledged. To that end, you've generated your auto-acknowledge email. I can't begin to tell you how my heart races when I see a (1) in my Inbox becaues I think it's a request for more information or an interview.

Secondly, since I took the time to handcraft a cover letter and resume, please extend to me the courtesy of an individualized reply. I don't send a "one letter says it all" to you and all the other corporations, organizations, and institutions. No, I don't even use a mail merge function in MS Word. I painstakingly re-write each letter to reflect the position and its requirements.

Next, I'd like you to send me a message saying that the position is closed. Otherwise, how do I know that I'm still being considered? Remember, you've stealthfully hidden all forms of possible human contact for follow up.

When you decide to extend the offer and the lucky candidate accepts your offer, please do me the kindness of sending me a message indicating that the position has been filled. It's disconcerting to sit and wonder if you're still searching or not. Honestly, I'd rather receive an email of rejection than not know. While that may sound odd, it provides closure. I realize this might require effort on your part because you would have to generate another "do not reply to this email" message, but I'm worth your effort. Really.

Having been at this job hunting 'business' for some time now, I wonder if there really are jobs out there or if job postings are just a way to see who's interested in your company. I only apply for those jobs for which I qualify. I don't pad my resume to give myself more experience. I won't waste your time reading an application of someone who clearly isn't qualified.

Thanks for letting me vent. I must return now to applying for jobs. Hope to hear something...anything...OK, anything but crickets... soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment