Simone de Beauvoir

Friday, April 23, 2010

Do You Count?

I "heard" about a website on facebook the other day and became curious to see what Gina Davis had been up to since I hadn't seen much of her on the big or little screen lately. And then there are the non-existent phone calls :]

So, I went to http://www.thegeenadavisinstitute.org and was thrilled to see Gina had been putting her time, energy, and money to a worthwhile cause.

Seriously, this is important stuff ~ BIG stuff in the world of gender issues.

“Kids need to see entertainment where females are valued as much as males” is what caught my eye, and not because it was written in extra large font.

How many movies or shows have the female longing for romance? Is that really what we want our children to emulate?

Have you watched a movie lately for kids? Which gender is valued more, females or males?

Under the tab "Do You Count" is a research project that we can all do to generate awareness. You will be asked to count how many female and male characters speak in a show or a movie. Send in those numbers.

To me, this is a great research project: gather my family around me, watch tv, and all in the comfort of my own home. More importantly, I will count!

Did you count? Tell me what you discovered ~ I'm curious to get perspectives of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment