Simone de Beauvoir

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

“One's life has value so long as one attributes value to the life of others, by means of love, friendship, indignation and compassion”

“One's life has value so long as one attributes value to the life of others, by means of love, friendship, indignation and compassion”



I spent the weekend with friends; people I've know for a relatively short time--about four years. They know so much about me and love me despite my shortcomings, my weaknesses, my everythings. They are also the same people I call when there is cause for celebration. We celebrate the "biggies" like birthdays, weddings, anniversaries; you know, the usual. We also celebrate the "not-so-biggies" like my first blog, learning new skills, personal victories.



It amazes me how women relate to one another. Regardless of the occassion, we celebrate. Life is too short not to. We support one another through tragedies and triumphs. We're the kind of friends who, when one of us doesn't want to drive forthy-five minutes home, she's invited to spend the night because she's too tired (and it's only 9 pm).



My friends have the biggest ears (so they can hear what I'm not saying), the biggest shoulders (so I can cry as long as I need to, and as often) and, most importantly, the biggest hearts (to love me even when I didn't love myself).

No comments:

Post a Comment